6.28.2010

eat pray love

Reading a new book, Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite books ever. The basis of the book is the main character treating herself - rather, rescuing herself - on a venture of self-discovery after a rollercoaster of unfortunate events and emotions. She decides to find herself in the three I's... Italy (eat) India (pray) and Indonesia (Love, I'm guessing, I'm not that far yet!)

The author/narrator's perspective is very spiritual, but not in a traditional christian sense - and I'm loving it. She prays to God that's real to her, not a white-headed, white-skinned, bearded man sitting on a cloud. She references him in several different ways in the book, but my favorite so far is "l'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle", which means "the love that moves the sun and the other stars". I love the italian interjections in the book (one of her dreams was to learn italian, what better way to do it than escape to italy?!).

Anyways, the book is jam-packed with great points of view, wisdom, and great quotes. It's a novel I'm reading with a highlighter in hand.

One of my favorites thus far was "God never slams a door in your face without opening a box of girl scout cookies (or however the old adage goes)..."

So, if you haven't read it, DO! It's fabulous. I'll probably blog about it again.
Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment